Monday, September 2, 2013

91 Day De-Clutter Challenge Week #1: Kitchen & Pantry

http://maryorganizes.com/
Mary from Mary Organizes Blog has set up a 91 day challenge to help people declutter their homes. I've decided to join along and try to declutter with her. I don't have some of the rooms she has on her list so I will do other rooms/areas during those weeks.

Schedule
I thought I would start with the before photos. I should come clean (pun intended) and give you full disclosure.  I did let the kitchen go for a couple days in anticipation of this challenge. I wanted to make the after photos more dramatic. These photos were taken after supper and before doing the dishes (and the after supper cleaning). I also had gone shopping earlier in the day and had not put away the non-perishables. Now I am thinking I should have taken the photos after the dishes were done and the rest of the groceries put away.

Kitchen Before View (before dishes are done, too)

The rest of the before photos of kitchen.
This is the side that really needs declutteing.

Sunday, September 1, 2013

Storage Container Cupboard
Before | After
I got a head start on the challenge with the cupboard that I store my storage containers. It had become quite chaotic and needed a thorough going through. Any container missing lids and any lids missing containers were disposed of. 

Potatoes and onions are kept here because it is cool and dry. 

There are a few microwave pots and Tupperware, neatly stacked, as well as a rarely used food processor and slow cooker. You will notice that most of the lids are stored vertically with a plate rack. It makes it easier go find when needed. The rack was purchased inexpensively at Dollarama.

On the upper shelf (left side) cutting boards are also kept vertically. As I need a cutting board, I take the one on the right (by the lids) and replace them on the left (by the wall). This allows the cutting boards to be rotated often and used evenly for wear and tear. They are discarded when they are well used and falling apart.

Now I am ready to start the challenge.




5 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for joining the challenge. I like your 'dramatic' before photos. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should post before pictures of MY kitchen! They would give yours a "run for their money".

    In addition to unwashed dishes, there are storage containers on the counters which belong to other people who brought us meals while DH was having his cancer treatments.

    On one of the kitchen chairs is a pile of yet-to-be-folded clothes out of the dryer plus some newspapers that need to be recycled.

    In a grocery bag on the floor are items in a Sobeys bag which need to be taken to the recycling bin on the porch.

    Maybe I will take pictures first thing tomorrow morning. If I start on it now, I'll wake DH up, and I surely don't want to do that!

    WD

    ReplyDelete
  3. Finally! I can identify with your kitchen because it has that LIVED IN look! Mine is exactly the same way. Thank you for sharing your before picture. It is inspiring me to see this thing through.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The counter tops and sink area of my kitchen are in pretty good shape. It's my work area, and as I do most the cooking, I insist on it being fairly instantly useable. Nothing discourages home cooking like having to excavate before the prep work.

    The other side of the kitchen we won't talk about...and so as to not incriminate myself, or end up on the Hoarders TV show, I am posting no "before" pictures, as dramatic as they might be. It's the side of the kitchen that is the half way home for things that wander into this house or are in the process of wandering out of the house. Sometimes, they camp out for long periods of time, until I insist on collecting rent from them.

    One of my challenges for cleaning out this area is to figure out how to NOT have it continue to be the dumping zone. I hate having to climb a mountain to get to the oatmeal ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for your wonderful comments. It is so wonderful to find out you are not the only one who lives like this, and not the only one trying to rescue yourself from such situations. (✿◠‿◠)˙·٠•●♥

    ReplyDelete