Sunday, March 31, 2013

Update 31 Day Organizational Challenge: Failure!

Well, perhaps "Failure" is too strong a word. But, basically, I did not come close to meeting the goal of getting the spare room emptied out and reorganized.  

The excuses are many:
  • My son was not around enough
  • My husband was home for two weeks
  • My arthritis was paining me bad
  • We got a new bird that needed attention
But, the truth is, I just did not go in that room and do more work on my own.


Spare Room Before
Spare Room After

However, I did:
  • Work on the pantry (Kitchen)
  • Clear everything from behind and under the computer desk (living room)
  • Cleared the bottom shelf for the computer desk (living room)
  • Organized pill cupboard (Kitchen)
  • Cleared boxes so that the bird cage could be moved (Living/Dining Room)
Bird Cage Area Before

Bird Cage Area After
There is so much to still be done and I hope you will remain with me on my journey. I am not giving up on the spare room, nor any other room in this apartment. I will continue, even if the official challenge is over.

Thank you for joining me on this journey.


Questions Laura (OrgJunkie.com) asked us to answer:

1. What space did you decide to organize and why?
I decided to clear out and organize our "Spare Room" because it has been used as a storage space and junk room for too long. I want to eventually turn it into a spare/guest bedroom that our son can use when he is here and to finally have overnight guests when he is not.  Also, we have a storage locker we are paying for and I want to empty it and bring the rest of the stuff here to be sorted, put away, given away, thrown away. This would be a perfect staging area to do that (before it becomes the guest bedroom). We have a lot of stuff that needs to be culled, currently in the room, and in the storage locker (as well as the rest of the apartment, but none is as horrific as this room).
2. What steps did you take to ensure you completed the space within the 31 day timeline?
I had planned on 15 to 30 minutes per day. However, this did not happen.
3. What was the hardest part of the challenge for you and how did you overcome it?
The hardest part of this challenge was having to wait on our son in order to get this room cleared. He insisted on being part of the process as much of the "junk" is his and he wanted to be the one to decide what is thrown out, given away, or put away.  He is not physically here most of the time so we were not able to get into the room as often as I had hoped. I did not overcome it. 
4. What did you do with the “stuff” you were able to purge out of your newly organized space?
Much of what we did remove was thrown out, down the garbage chute of our building. Some was put in a "give away" bag to be taken to a local charity. The "to keep" items were put in a "to keep" box that will then be put away when we have more room cleared out.
5. Tell me one of your proudest moments during this challenge?
One of my proudest moments was when our son went and did work in the room without being asked or prodded by me. Also, when we saw the floor.
6. Explain any organizing “tools” you used to help you create additional space and to establish some limits and boundaries?
We really did not get that far with this challenge. Basically: - we used a timer to keep us focused  - had a throw away, give away, and put away box/bag for things as we went through them - we immediately discarded the trash bags as they filled to keep us from going through them again - we put the give away bags by the front door as they filled and took them out to the vehicle when we next went out, and dropped them off with the charity as we were doing our errands (so they would be gone).
7. What is ONE piece of organizing advice you've learned on this journey that you could encourage someone else with?
Do things that you do not have to count on someone else to accomplish. This way you get more  done, and start seeing results sooner. Once you have done that, then, if you need to work with someone, you will feel better about the whole venture. Set a timer to keep focused. Don't kick yourself if you did not accomplish everything at once. Do a little at a time. It will get done. 
DO NOT GIVE UP! 


If you are just getting started with Evernote, I suggest that you buy Brett Kelly’s remarkably practical e-book, Evernote Essentials, Second Edition. It is worth setting aside a couple hours to work through this brief, 95-page book. It will save you DAYS of learning Evernote on your own.


11 comments:

  1. Failure is most certainly too strong of a word! Just look at all the other things that you did get done! You should be extremely proud of yourself!

    Not only did you manage to clean up several areas of your home, you and your family made the wonderful decision to open up your home and hearts to your newly adopted bird, Taz. You took the time to make Taz feel at home and helped him not feel so stressed. And while it is a great feeling to have your home clean and organized, nothing tops the even better feeling of doing something amazing for someone or something in need!

    You have a good heart Ana and I am proud to say that you are my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, MrsP! I am very proud to say you are my friend, too.

      Delete
  2. Definitely not a failure Reservoir Slob!! Failure would have been not doing your room AND not doing anything else, but you did a lot of other organizing when your first plan didn't work as expected.

    Good luck continuing in your spare room. I love the idea of using it as a staging area for your storage locker contents. I look forward to continuing to follow your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Failure is not the right concept at all. Life's a journey, not a destination right? You've taken steps to fixing the space and with a bit more time and work, and less life interruptions, you'll complete it! Hang in there, Jenny

    Heck my space still needs paint, more removal of books, and that spa tub I saw on pinterest and until I get them I won't consider it DONE either!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've made a great start! Keep plugging away and you'll get there.
    I did not make my goal this month, either, but I'm going to take all the energy and motivation from others participating to keep on keeping on!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The hardest thing for me during this was to try not to get distracted ... so I completely understand! But, I agree with others that it was not a failure! You have really made some great progress! We will keep going, together!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well golly gee you did not finish your selected space. So what!!!! As the others smart folks have stated..you did accomplish other areas. Those things were probably in your face a bit more. Something that was more urgent in your eye, that is great. Now those little things are done and you can re-focus on your original task until something else of more importance steps into the limelight.

    Good work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you to all who commented. Your words are very inspiring.

    I am going to continue on my journey from Chaos to Peace and will post on Fridays. I hope you subscribe and come on the journey with me.

    In hindsight, I should have picked a different area for the 31 Day Challenge. Perhaps if Laura does this again next year I will choose a different room.

    Don't give up on me and the spare room. I will be getting back in there shortly and will continue to post about it as well.

    Again, thank you all!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so sad to hear that you weren't able to finish your space. I can't imagine if I had to rely on someone else to get our room organized (especially someone like me that has to have control over what happens to everything). I'm glad you're going to continue working on it and I'll definitely be checking back on Fridays to hear how it is coming along.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Many props to you for admitting that you didn't get to complete the room. At least you made some progress in other parts of your house though & I feel like you should give yourself some credit for that too. Every little bit counts! It took me a while to even get started on my room too so I know how you feel.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations on being able to see the floor.
    Why do we feel we need to babysit our kids' stuff when they move out. I left home at 18 and took everything I owned with me. When I got sick of carrying it around I got rid of it, myself! We have one box of stuff that belongs to my stepson (he hasn't lived with us since he was 14) and that's it. I'd be tempted to move all of his stuff into the storage locker and get him to pay the rent. Might encourage him to get in and deal with it since he wants to do it, rather than you being beholden to him to sort out your spare room.
    Good luck with the rest of the room. :)

    ReplyDelete