Friday, March 8, 2013

Spare Room First Update for 31 Day Challenge

I wish I could say more was accomplished, however, sadly, we only got a very small amount accomplished this week. The challenge was that my son insists on going through everything himself, which means I cannot go into the room and just start throwing things out willy-nilly.  We only managed one 15 minute session and it looks like we barely touched the room.

To be fair, we did throw out two grocery bags of garbage, started another bag for papers he needs to keep and sort through later (no time to do it right now), one bag of "give away", one laundry hamper full (for me to wash next laundry day), and one box of things to keep but we either don't have a spot for them yet or we cannot get to the spot they need to go. 

This would go a lot faster if he would not get upset if I went in "his" room and just ruthlessly throw things out.
BEFORE
(Sorry about the quality,
I am using my iPhone)
AFTER
Now that he knows that he can do 15 minutes without too much pain, I think it will be easier to get him in there when he is home.

One of the big issues here is that this was supposed to be our son's bedroom, but when we first moved in, 3 years ago, we "temporarily" put boxes in here for storage, that we were supposed go through. As it turned out, we did not get to them fast enough. Our son has this nasty habit of dumping boxes on the floor when looking for things, and not picking up afterwards. He also loves to just dump things in this room for "storage".  Whenever he has no idea where to put something, in this room it gets thrown...literally!

If you are just getting started with Evernote, I suggest that you buy Brett Kelly’s remarkably practical e-book, Evernote Essentials, Second Edition. It is worth setting aside a couple hours to work through this brief, 95-page book. It will save you DAYS of learning Evernote on your own.

The rest of our home is not in the same condition as this room. This room gives us all anxiety attacks as we look in.  It will be a miracle if it can get cleaned out and organized by the end of the month. Thankfully, I believe in miracles.

After another 15 minutes Our Son is now
enthused about getting this done!



7 comments:

  1. I am in the same position right now. I am so busy and I am a full time student so i find myself waking all 4am and so all of my work is done in the bedroom and it is a huge mess right now, just looking at it makes me tired. I so want to get organised again. I did some packing up today and like you it looks like nothing was done. Guess we just need to hang in there till we get it done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you do, even 15 minutes at at time, it helps. We just did another 15 minutes today and it already looks better. Okay, ONE table looks better. LOL.

      Set a timer. Try to do it once a day. Do it twice or three times if you can. But, even once you will see results very soon.

      Check out http://www.flylady.net if you want to find a wonderfully supportive and effective system.

      Delete
  2. That must be very frustrating having to organize with him on his schedule. I commend you for trying to do it through. I'm sure he'll be much happier when it's all done.
    Keep up the good work. Even 15 minutes helps as you can see.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The important thing is you did get started, you did make progress. You may have more to work through than just the decluttering and organizing, but you are moving forward, and that is a good thing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all for your wonderfully supportive comments.

    Yes, it is difficult to declutter on my son's schedule. Once we get rid of his, personal, mess I can get at the boxes we stored in there and empty them (sort, put away, throw away , give away the contents). It will go a lot faster then.

    Again, thank you for your motivational support and kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Agreed, short periods and projects are less anxiety provoking. If it makes you feel any better, I can see the difference. I felt the same way about my room this week thinking oh goodness, just a small corner showing but truthfully, it's a difference!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do most of my cleaning throughout my home is short 10-15 minute spurts. You're doing great so far, keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete