Friday, April 19, 2013

Freezing Chicken Broth

Whenever I cook a whole chicken, or I purchase a pre-cooked whole roasted chicken, I make chicken broth with the leftover bones. My recipe is very similar to this chicken broth recipe. I don't actually follow a recipe. I make several cups of chicken broth at a time. DH likes me to make fresh pastina for him when I make a batch, then I freeze the rest for another time.

©2013, Reservoir Slob, all rights reserved. Photo taken with iPhone 3
I like to freeze the broth in 1 cup amounts. I line coffee cups with a
plastic bag (Ziploc Portion Bags) and pour one cup
amount into each bag-lined cup. If you are careful you can wash and
re-use the bags until they rip.

©2013, Reservoir Slob, all rights reserved. Photo taken with iPhone 3
I freeze the broth.

©2013, Reservoir Slob, all rights reserved. Photo taken with iPhone 3
I then take the bag with the frozen broth out of the cup and tie the top with
a bread tie.

©2013, Reservoir Slob, all rights reserved. Photo taken with iPhone 3
I then place all the frozen broth into a larger freezer bag and put back
in the freezer for when I need them. I defrost as much as I need,
when I need it. I make sure to label the bag with date and contents.
This not only saves money on chicken broth, but you can make healthier, lower salt, lower fat broth. By freezing it in one (1) cup increments they are handy to grab and use, anytime.

I also use this to freeze my favourite home made pasta sauce in the amounts I need for meals.

You can use this method to freeze any sauce, broth, or liquid.





5 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It has never occurred to me to freeze milk. Thanks for the idea!

      Delete
    2. I also do it with tomato sauce to use in stews and Spanish Rice in 1.4 cup measuremnts.

      Delete
  2. I've always wondered about this. Thanks for clearing that up. I'd love for you to share this at my link party "Organize My Life" that opens every Monday night. Stop on by http://maryorganizes.com! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete